- You can get Instagram dark mode on your iPhone, iPad, or Android by updating your device settings.
- There’s no in-app setting to turn on Instagram dark mode — the app will mirror your device’s settings.
- You’ll need at least iOS 13 or Android 10 to enable Instagram dark mode.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Turning on dark mode changes an app’s background to a darker color — usually black instead of white — to reduce the amount of bright white light on your screen. While dark mode isn’t actually better for your eyes, it can help your device save battery and it can feel gentler to look at, especially before bed.
Instagram has dark mode for iPhones or iPads running iOS 13 or higher and Androids running Android 10 or higher. When activated, it changes the backdrop of the app (behind the photos) to black, and all the text to white.
For both iOS and Android, there’s no setting to turn on dark mode within the Instagram app itself — rather, you turn on dark mode in your device’s system settings and the Instagram app will automatically adjust to match the rest of your device. Here’s how to do it.
How to get Instagram dark mode on iPhone or iPad
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone running iOS 13 or higher or iPad running iPadOS 13 or higher.
2. Scroll down and tap Display & Brightness.
3. In the Appearance section at the top of the page, you’ll see two options: Light and Dark. Tap Dark.
4. Then, open the Instagram app, which should now appear in dark mode.
How to get Instagram dark mode on Android
The exact steps below may differ slightly depending on what kind of Android device you have.
1. Open the Settings app on your Android running Android 10 or higher.
2. Scroll down and tap Display.
3. At the top of the Display page, select Dark to enable dark mode.
4. Open the Instagram app, which should now appear in dark mode.